My name is Brendan Barnes but most people know me as Bugsy.
I am a South African born cinematographer currently living in Sydney Australia. After finishing my Bachelor of Arts degree in Motion Picture Medium, I jumped head first into the independent film world. My focus has always been long form narrative. To date, I have lensed eleven feature films and a stack of other episodic television shows. Between long form jobs, I like to keep busy with high end commercial work, music videos and short films. I am a fully accredited member of the South African Society of Cinematographers as well as a member of the Australian Cinematography Society.
Recent career highlights include working with director MJ Bassett (The Terminal List, Jack Reacher, Altered Carbon) to shoot the feature films “Rogue” starring Megan Fox and “Endangered Species” starring Rebecca Romijn. 2022 saw me spend three months as second unit Director of Photography for the reboot of “Red Sonja” currently in post production. I was also selected by the American Society of Cinematographers to be part of the ASC Vision Mentorship program.
In 2022 I was awarded a Gold Tripod by the Australian Cinematography Society in the category of Feature Films under $2mil as well as a Gold and Silver award for corporate advertising and international commercials respectively.
Please have a look at my portfolio and feel free to reach out!
• ACS National Gold Tripod Winner - Feature Films under $2 mil - 2021
• ACS NSW Gold Award - Corporate Branding and Advertising - 2022
• ACS NSW Silver Award - Commercials National / International - 2022
• ACS NSW Gold Award - Feature Films under $2 mil - 2021
• The One Show Finalist - Moving Image - Craft Cinematography - 2020
• Gold Craft Pendoring - 2019 'The Prayer'
• Best Cinematography - 2018 South African Film and Television Awards (Feature Film Nominee)
• Best Cinematography - 2016 South African Film and Television Awards (Winner TV Comedy)
• SASC (South African Society of Cinematographers) Silver Visible Spectrum Award - 2015
• Best Cinematography - 2014 Independent Mzanzi Short Film Festival 'Security'
• Best Fantasy Short - 2011 New York International Film Festival
• Best Cinematographer - 2011 Kodak Film School Competition (Worldwide Winner)